Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Making a living at what you love

I read an interesting article in Business section of last Sunday's Chronicle that talked about artists learning to be more business savvy, hopefully by not selling out. The idea for many musicians, painters, photographers, whatever, is to be able to perform their talent and make a living at it, it can only help their art and everyone is better for it. The article talks to Bay Area artists and lists some Bay Area educational business resources of which they have taken advantage. Included are 2 in-depth profiles, well, as in-depth as newspapers usually get.

Links:
Artists find that business strategies can help them succeed
Vineyard artist draws on her business savvy
Printmaker turns metal plates into gold

1 Comments:

Blogger Stuart said...

Follow up letter found in last Sunday's Business section of the SF Chronicle from one of the artists mentioned in this article:

Artist believes story misrepresented goals
Editor -- This is in regards to "Making a living at what you love" (Dec. 18). I was severely misquoted and misrepresented by the reporter in this article.

The financial information she used to describe where I am with my business was incorrect.

I have been self-employed as a creative person for more than four years. She failed to mention that I have a multimedia entertainment company and my goal is to inspire and empower people through musical performances, workshops and speaking.

I told her I felt the only thing between me and my empire was business information and money information, which is why I took the Renaissance class.

My goal is more substantial than "someday" making $5,000 a month. I feel her desire to illuminate her angle on the starving artist clouded the facts about who I really am and what I am creating.

JENN AUGUST

Oakland

9:42 PM, December 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home